Requirements, available streams, eligibility criteria, and application procedures for Subclass 189
The skilled independent visa (subclass 189) is a visa program with two streams for foreign laborers and New Zealand nationals. If you are a highly skilled individual and satisfy the point requirements (for the points-tested stream), you may apply for this visa.
This visa will allow you to work, study, and reside in Australia for as long as you wish, provided that you comply with visa requirements and Australian law.
What is an 189 visa?
Visa 189, the skilled autonomous visa, is a work visa that allows indefinite residence in Australia. To obtain a 189 visa, you must be invited to apply, and to be invited, you must meet the required score points.
Visa 189 is also available to New Zealand nationals who have lived and worked in Australia for several years.
Skilled Independent Australia -Visa Streams
There are two primary segments within the category of skilled independent visas:
Stream tested for points This feed does not require a sponsor or nomination. To apply, however, you must be invited. You will be invited if you meet the required minimum points for visa 189. In general, a points-tested stream visa requires a minimum score of 65 points.
New Zealand River. If you are a New Zealand citizen who has lived in Australia for at least five years and held a special visa 444, you are eligible to apply for this stream. For the residence period to count toward your eligibility requirements, you must have lived in Australia since at least February 19, 2016.
189 Visa Document Checklist
You must provide the following documents for a Visa 189 application:
- You must provide a copy of the pages of your passport that contain your personal information.
- An identification document. If you possess a national identification card, please transmit a copy of it.
- Expression of curiosity. You must submit an expression of interest for your points-based immigration stream visa.
- Character documents. Form 80 may be required for the points-tested stream in addition to the other character documents.
- Evidence of English language competence For the New Zealand stream, English proficiency is not required.
- Skill assessment documents To obtain a points-tested stream visa, you may be required to undergo a skills evaluation.
- Documentation demonstrating your name change.
- Form 956.
- Form 956a.
- For your New Zealand stream visa, you must present the following:
- Residence documents and income documentation
- For your spouse or partner:
- Their identification papers
- Character documents
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce documents (if applicable)
- If applicable, evidence of a registered relationship
- The functional level of documents written in English
- For your dependent offspring under 18:
- Identification papers
- Birth certificate copies
- Family records containing the names of the parents (in lieu of a birth certificate).
- Parental Consent Form 1229
- Statutory declaration
- Proof of dependency for your dependent offspring older than 18 years
- Dependency Form 47a
- Evidence of English language proficiency (only for the points tested stream)
Skilled Independent Visa Australia Eligibility Criteria
You satisfy the eligibility requirements for the points-tested stream if you meet the following conditions:
- You have been invited to submit a visa application.
- You are younger than 45 years old.
- You possess a positive talent evaluation.
- At least 65 points are displayed on the scoreboard.
You are eligible to participate in the New Zealand stream if:
- You possess a subclass 444 special visa.
- You have resided in Australia for a minimum of five years.
- You have earned at least the minimum wage threshold.
189 Visa Points
You are granted a skilled independent 189 visa (points stream) if you satisfy the required number of points for your skills. A superior level of English, for instance, will earn you more marks than a functional level. For an invitation to apply for this visa with 189 streams, you must have at least 65 points. Here is an approximate point calculation.
189 Visa Application Process
Follow these procedures in order to apply for a visa:
- Submit an interest manifestation. Before you can apply for the visa, you must submit an expression of interest through SkillSelect if you are applying through the points-based system.
- Meet the points requirement. When you submit your personal information for your EOI, SkillSelect will automatically calculate the number of points you’ve earned based on your qualifications and skills. If you’ve earned at least 65 points, you’ll receive an invitation to apply for a visa.
- Get a visa invitation. After submitting your EOI, you must wait for an invitation before applying for the visa.
- Request the visa. After receiving an invitation, you can submit your application via ImmiAccount; however, you must first log in to your SkillSelect account and select “apply for the visa” to be redirected to ImmiAccount. For the New Zealand stream, steps one, two, and three are not required; merely apply for the visa through your ImmiAccount.
Check Also: Highest Paying Unskilled Jobs in USA 2024
189 Visa Processing Times
Here are the processing times for a 189 visa:
|Australia visa points tested stream- subclass 189
|Australia visa New Zealand stream- subclass 189
What Are the 189 Visa Fees?
A 189 visa costs AUD4,115. For the points-tested stream visa 189, you must pay a second installment fee of AUD4,890 for each additional applicant who cannot demonstrate their functional level in the English language.
If you are applying for the New Zealand stream, the English requirement charge is waived, but the application fee must be paid in two installments. First, you pay 20% of the fee, followed by the remaining balance before your visa is granted.
189 Skill Occupation List
For a visa to be evaluated for 189 points, you must have a profession on the list of skilled occupations. This list contains several occupations for which work visas are available. Alongside the listed occupations is the assessing authority for each profession. This is essential information if you are required to submit a competence evaluation by a relevant authority.
Additionally, each occupation’s ANZSCO code is included in this list. This code is used to classify occupations and the skills required to work in those professions; it may be required when submitting an expression of interest. Here you will discover the complete list.
How Long Can I Stay With a Skilled Independent Visa 189?
As a permanent visa, an 189 visa allows you to remain in Australia indefinitely. After a few years, you may petition for Australian citizenship if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Can I Bring My Family Members With a Visa 189?
Visa 189 allows you to transport family members to Australia if they are members of your immediate family. For visa purposes, your companion (spouse or registered partner), children, and grandchildren are typically considered close relatives.
Your visa can include either your biological or adopted offspring. They may also be your or your partner’s children. If you are bringing adult children over the age of 18, you must demonstrate their dependence on you and your companion.
Can I Travel With a Skilled Independent Visa 189?
A qualified independent visa only allows for five years of travel. After five years have passed since your visa was granted, you must submit an application for a resident return visa. This visa will extend your travel authorization for an additional five years, allowing you to continue traveling as you please.
If you depart Australia after your travel facility has expired, you may not be permitted to return as a permanent resident; therefore, a resident return visa is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the new Australian visa for 2024?
Increased routes to permanent residency
The Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream of the Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa will become available by the end of 2024. This stream is for all holders of Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) visas whose employers desire to sponsor them.
In 2024, will Australia receive a sponsorship visa?
These companies in Australia offer visa sponsorship jobs to all qualified international candidates with the requisite skills.
BCG Digital Ventures